Getting stuck into a long lunch or a Sunday roast with all the trimmings should always be a pleasure – but if you suffer from bloating it can eventually become more of a pain.
However, it doesn’t have to be this way!
Rennie looks at a few small changes you can make to your diet which can let you enjoy a good feed and minimise the chances of feeling bloated…
Trigger foods for feeling bloated
Foods which are fried or particularly greasy add strain to your digestive system, also increasing the risk of heartburn and stomach aches.
They encourage the body to retain more water. Keep this in mind if you are prone to buying ready meals or rely on a packet of crisps as a pickme-up snack.
We’re all familiar with the playground chants, and the science behind them shouldn’t be overlooked. Beans are high in a sugar (oligosaccharides) that the body cannot digest. When bacteria in our digestive systems tries to break them up, gas is the painful product.
Foods like white bread and pasta are packed with sugar and very little long-lasting energy. Instead, aim for brown rice, pasta, bread and quinoa.
Spices and onions
While many people are not affected, for some, excess chilli or onion and garlic can be real triggers for stomach ache, bloating and heartburn.
The fizz in these drinks is created by carbon dioxide – a gas. So, guzzling large amounts of carbonated drinks means you’re taking in a lot of excess gas (not to mention sugar).
Top tips to help avoid bloating
- Eat lean meat or fish and fibre-rich foods such as brown rice.
- Drink plenty of water. If you don’t have enough fluid in your body your kidneys will tell your body to retain as much water a possible – which can lead to feeling bloated.
- Regular exercise can help push gas through your body more quickly and can also give your digestive system a boost to help prevent constipation.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly. This is particular effective if you are able to eat in a relaxing area with plenty of time.
- If you still feel bloated, try taking Rennie Deflatine. Discreet and effective, it gently breaks up gas bubbles to help relieve you of your discomfort.